SOUTHLAND Transportation has established a superior reputation for leadership and quality in the people transportation business. Our success is a result of the integrity and dedication of our talented staff. Ownership and accountability for your decisions and activities promote success in a team environment. We will be celebrating our 40 year anniversary in 2011.
Does your organization have other locations besides Calgary?
Yes. SOUTHLAND has operations throughout southern and central Alberta, including Cochrane, Okotoks, Rockyford, Medicine Hat and Edmonton. We also have one location in Saskatchewan, in North Battleford.
How many employees does your organization employ?
We have approximately 1250 employees.
What type of positions do you offer?
Most of our driving staff work part-time hours, and we have a number of full-time office and maintenance staff. We typically hire permanent staff, but look for individuals to work with us over the summer as well.
What are some entry level career opportunities that your organization offers?
We look for students to assist in our shop during the summer months. These individuals will be working on our buses to ensure they are ready for the new school year.
What is your hiring process?
Potential Candidates apply via email, and are screened by the human resource department. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. SOUTHLAND has applicants complete an application package prior to their interview. After the interview, SOUTHLAND processes the necessary checks, which include a background check, driver's abstract and reference check. Due to the nature of our business, pre-employment drug and alcohol testing is also required.
How can one apply?
On our website http://www.southland.ca/careers/.
What do you look for in employees?
SOUTHLAND looks for individuals who are reliable, and enjoy a team atmosphere. Candidates must also be safety-conscious, and be prepared to complete any task assigned.
What type of education/training/equipment do you require?
A mechanical aptitude is an asset, and those working in the shop must have steel-toed boots.
How old does someone have to be to work for your company?
Applicants who are 17 years of age and older will be considered for employment.
How much will employees get paid?
Entry-level employees typically make $11 per hour.
How would someone find out about opportunities at your company?
We post our positions on our company website, and also use the Service Canada Job Bank and Kijiji.
Please list any diversity initiatives that your organization is currently involved in.
We are proud to have been nominated in the past for the Immigrants of Distinction Awards in the category of Organizational Diversity. This yearly event recognizes outstanding individuals and businesses that greatly impact the Calgary Community in the areas of Arts and Culture, Business, Community Service, Distinguished Professional, and Organizational Diversity.
This Award recognized SOUTHLAND's efforts through the following projects:
- The translation of the School Bus Rules into many different languages including English, Spanish, French, Korean, Punjabi, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Arabic.
- The ESL Project that creates opportunities for staff to register in classes, as well as provides the resources and assistance to achieve a proficient English level.
- The cooperative work with the Calgary Progressive Society, which supports the inclusion of exceptional people in our Maintenance Department.
- The Mentor Drivers Program, which allows drivers over 71 years old to continue working at SOUTHLAND and provide their knowledge and experience to our next generation of drivers.
- Drivers are able to bring their children to work with them. With almost half our drivers being women with preschool aged children, this initiative promotes an environment of support for young mothers.
- SOUTHLAND offers different work experience programs that allow high school, college and university students to become part of our organization and to bring that fresh and young perspective that is greatly appreciated.
Please list any corporate responsibility initiatives that your organization is currently involved in.
SOUTHLAND Transportation is proud to support the Mothers Against Drunk Driving annual Red Ribbon Awareness Campaign, Mat's Ride, the Safety Expo, My First Ride, and the Calgary International Children's Festival.