Metrie (Canada) Inc.
The Youth Employment Centre (YEC) asked Metrie (Canada) Inc. to answer a few questions about their company:
How long have you been in business?
Metrie has been operating since 1926 (94 years as at 2020).
How many locations do you have in Calgary and nationally/internationally? What locations are hiring locally in Calgary and area?
Metrie has a total of 31 locations (1 Head Office, 4 Manufacturing and 23 Distribution, 3 Retail Distribution).
- Calgary MDF Manufacturing - 5353 – 50th Street SE, Bay 31, Calgary, AB, T2C 3W1
- Calgary Distribution (Moudings & Doors) - 45 – 5805 76th Ave SE, Calgary, AB, T2C 5L8
How many people does your organization employ? How many locally?
1300 in North America, 180 in Calgary (including both Manufacturing and Distribution locations)
What type of positions do you offer? (ex. Full time, part time, seasonal, contract etc.)
What are the benefits of working for your company? Staff discounts, incentive programs, scholarships etc.
- Staff discounts
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Incentive Programs (Profit Sharing, Referral Programs, Service Awards, Team Building Events, Annual Values and Performance Awards,
Describe opportunities for advancement.
- Quarterly Goal Setting
- Internal Promotions
- Performance Management
- Training and Education
List any corporate responsibility initiatives that your organization is currently involved in.
- Community Outreach Programs (Locally led)
- Local fundraising
What are some entry level career opportunities that your organization offers? Please attach job descriptions. Youth want to know as much detail as possible before deciding to apply.
How would someone find out about opportunities at your company? How can a candidate apply?
Describe your hiring and interview process?
- Resume Submission (Through website or Employee Referral)
- Candidate Phone Screen
- Candidate Interview
What do you look for in an employee?
Alignment to our cultural principles and values.
- One Team
What type of education/training/equipment do you require?
- Minimum of High School Graduate or GED is preferred
- Metrie provides inhouse training
- Some roles require certification/tickets (i.e.: Forklift Operator, Millwright, etc.)
- Physical Requirements: Standing for an entire shift (10 years), able to lift objects 15-30lbs from floor to waist and back down from waist to floor safely
What is the minimum age required to work for your company? Are there different age requirements for different positions?
18 years of age. If below the age of 18 years of age, parental consent is required is normally for temporary summer positions when available.
Provide a wage range for entry level positions.
Starting salaries in Calgary: $17.50/hour
What are the hours of the business and general shift times? Are there a minimum number of hours someone needs to work per week? Is there flexibility regarding school schedules?
- Day Shift: Monday to Thursday 6:45 am – 5:15 pm
- Night Shift: Monday to Thursday 5:00pm to 3:30am
- Weekend Day Shift -Friday, Saturday, Sunday 6:30 am – 7:00 pm
- Weekend Night Shift-Friday, Saturday, Sunday 6:30 pm – 7:00 am
For both Weekends and weekend night shift as long as you work the full 36 hours we pay 4 hour top up.
We are looking for full time employees fulfilling the entire 36 or 40 hour schedule, flexibility for schooling is within shift choices.
Calgary Distribution Warehouse:
- Monday to Friday - 6:00 am to 2:30 pm
Sales & Customer Service:
- Monday to Friday - 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Is a uniform provided or do employees have to pay for it?
Metrie provides PPE (Personal Protective Equipment).
For more information about Metrie (Canada) Inc. visit www.Metrie.com.