How long have you been in business?
London Drugs has been in business since 1945!
London Drugs has 78 stores, all in Western Canada. In Calgary we have 9 stores, all will be accepting applications for various positions
How many people does your organization employ? How many locally?
London Drugs employs over 7,000 staff in total.
What type of positions do you offer?
We offer part time, regular part time and full time positions in our stores and occasionally we offer seasonal/casual work for the Christmas season.
What are the benefits of working for your company?
London Drugs employees enjoy many benefits including:
- Health & Wellness (We repay up to 100% of your YM/YWCA gym membership)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, prescription drug and vision coverage available with service for you and your family
- Company matched RRSPs
- Employee Discount Program
- Employee Recognition Program
- Ongoing in-house training and education courses
- Scholarship and Bursary programs
- Employee family assistance program
- Community involvement
Describe opportunities for advancement.
We offer advancement opportunities through our promote from within policies and salaries commensurate with experience.
List any corporate responsibility initiatives that your organization is currently involved in.
London Drugs proudly sponsors various community-based events and corporate initiatives that are in-line with its values and goals of building healthier and stronger communities.
- Raised over $30,000 for B.C.'s 2010 Variety Club Telethon
- BC Children's Hospital - donated funds to help build the hospital, as well as supported initiatives such as Jeans Day, Hope Tote and Festival of Trees.
- Raised funds for Stollery Children's Hospital Paper Bear Icon Campaign
- Helped fund Calgary Children's Cottage (a shelter for children who have been exposed to trauma)
- Helped raise funds for organizations such as the Salvation Army, Boy Scouts, Girl Guides, Beavers, the Muscular Dystrophy Association plus others
- A main sponsor of the HSBC Fireworks in Vancouver
- The annual retail sponsor of the Boys & Girls Club Pink Shirt Day Campaign
- Sponsor of BC Transplant's “Give Life Program"
Thanks to your support, here are some organizations we've helped:
- BC Cancer Foundation
- Boys & Girls Club
- Canadian Blood Services
- Canadian Cancer Society
- Canadian Red Cross
- Canadian Fire Volunteer Fire Services Association
- Canadian Liver Foundation
- Five Hole for Food
- Gairdner Foundation
- Junior Achievement of Canada Foundation
- Junior Diabetes Research Foundation
- Muscular Dystrophy Canada
- Safety Within A Group (SWAG)
- St. Johns Ambulance
- The Hearing Foundation of Canada
Operation Family Identification
Our Children are the Future.
Pioneered in Canada by London Drugs, Operation Family Identification provides a child identity package for parents and guardians. Supported by Block Parent, Crime Stoppers and the RCMP, Operation Family Identification has provided over half a million identity kits to parents and guardians, free of charge, since the program's inception in 1984.
The identity kit contains a picture, fingerprints of the child and all of the child's vital statistics. The parent or guardian retains the only copy of the identity kit. For providing this service, London Drugs has received an award from the Solicitor General of Canada as well as one from the Solicitor General of Alberta.
What's the Green Deal?
As a major Canadian retailer, London Drugs is part of the communities we serve. We know we have a part to play in helping make our world more sustainable. 'What's the Green Deal?' is our commitment to continue searching for better, greener ways to do business, and to help our customers find answers.
We address sustainability through a four-pillar approach: Energy & Operations, Waste Reduction, Upstream Purchasing and Communication & Education.
Some Quick Facts:
- Each month, London Drugs recycles approximately 18,000 kilograms of plastic.
- Each year we recycle over 4 million kilograms of paper, newsprint and cardboard, from our stores, Head Office and Distribution Services Center (warehouse).
- In the last 5 years we diverted 170,000 lbs of Styrofoam from landfills - over 125 semi-trailer truckloads full - recycling it as a commodity to be reused in manufacturing.
- In 2012, London Drugs collected and helped to recycle 32,711 kilograms of used alkaline batteries and 7,265 kilograms of rechargeable batteries and cell phones.
- We are starting to do Waste Audits on all of our stores over the next few years. Our goal is to increase our waste diversion to 95%.
What are some entry level career opportunities that your organization offers?
- Sales Service (Cashier)
- Stock Service Cash Trained
How would someone find out about opportunities at your company? How can a candidate apply?
Candidates can check out our careers website online at www.londondrugs.com/careers or they can apply in person in store.
Describe your hiring and interview process?
There are multiple stages and steps in the interview process that depending on the position applied for could include one or more phone or in person interviews, an aptitude assessment, and background check.
What do you look for in an employee?
We're looking for people who like a challenge, enjoy an upbeat work atmosphere and take pride in their work. We recognize the power of teamwork and encourage an open environment where the exchange of ideas are welcomed - and rewarded. We promote from within wherever possible and offer a number of incentives to help you grow with the company, including Employee Recognition and Career Achievement programs.
What type of education/training/equipment do you require?
Dependent on the job but most positions require no specific education or training. Substantial on the job training is provided for all new hires.
What is the minimum age required to work for your company? Are there different age requirements for different positions?
Provide a wage range for entry level positions.
Wages at London Drugs are on a 20 step scale commensurate with experience. New hire employees at entry level positions starting at step 1 would be paid $11.50 per hour in Alberta, with wage increases occurring after hitting total hours worked milestones, progressing up the 20 point scale.
What are the hours of the business and general shift times? Are there a minimum number of hours someone needs to work per week? Is there flexibility regarding school schedules?
Most London Drugs stores are open from 9am to 10pm Monday thru Saturday, and 10am to 8pm on Sunday's. Shift times can vary by job and store. They will generally be during the hours of business with start times occurring up to 4 hours before our 9am open times and closing shifts ending half an hour after our closing times.
Oftentimes students will work evenings and weekends during their school year with shifts being 4,5 or up to 8 hours in length depending on their availability and schedule preferences. Common shifts during the week could be: 4-8pm, 5-9pm, 5-10pm, 530-1030pm, 6-10pm, etc. On weekends there are various shift times available.
We require a minimum availability of between 12-16 hours a week but are very flexible with students during their school schedules. Most students can expect to be scheduled between 1-3 shifts a week depending on store needs and their availability.
Is a uniform provided or do employees have to pay for it?
London drugs blue shirt is provided at no charge.