YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902; Since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization where thousands of children, youth and adults access our programs and facilities. We are much more than a gym, pool, and recreational facility; We strive to adapt to community needs, and ensure that our programs and facilities can be accessed by all who need them.
YMCA Calgary staff firmly believe that they are creating a positive impact in the community through their work at the 'Y'. In our work we deliver health and wellness programs, community outreach, Aboriginal programs, newcomer programs, day and overnight camping, outdoor schools, leadership development, childcare, and much more.
Does your organization have other locations?
Calgary locations include: Eau Claire YMCA, Crowfoot YMCA, Shawnessy YMCA, South Health Campus YMCA, Community YMCA, Saddletowne YMCA, and Camp Riveredge.
Camp Chief Hector YMCA is located in Exshaw, Alberta, in Kananaskis Country just a short drive outside of Calgary.
In partnership with the City of Calgary, we are expanding our impact with new facilities in Quarry Park, Rocky Ridge, and Seton. These facilities are scheduled for completion within the next few years.
How many employees does your organization employ?
Just under 800 paid employees, and over 1230 volunteers.
What type of positions do you offer?
All types of positions are available - Full time, part time, seasonal, contract.
What are some entry level career opportunities that your organization offers?
- Summer Daycamp Counsellors
- Camp Riveredge Aquatic Specialty Counsellor
- Outdoor Programs Weekend Coordinator - Spring
- Spring Weekend Staff
- Outdoor School Support Staff - Spring (Camp Chief Hector YMCA)
- Outdoor Experiential School Group Counsellor (Camp Chief Hector YMCA)
- Hector Spring School and Sunship Earth School Group Counsellors (Camp Chief Hector YMCA)
- Tripping Counsellor - Hiking or Canoeing (Camp Chief Hector YMCA)
- Leadership Counsellor (Camp Chief Hector YMCA)
- Craft Instructors (Camp Chief Hector YMCA)
- Health Centre Staff (Camp Chief Hector YMCA)
- Daycamp Counsellors (Camp Chief Hector YMCA)
- Camp Counsellor - Multiple positions available (Camp Chief Hector YMCA)
- Higher Ground Staff (Camp Chief Hector YMCA)
- Waterfront Staff (Camp Chief Hector YMCA)
- Horse Staff (Camp Chief Hector YMCA)
- Outtripping Staff (Camp Chief Hector YMCA)
- Section Directors - Multiple positions available (Camp Chief Hector YMCA)
- Adventure Playground and Children's Garden Instructors (Camp Chief Hector YMCA)
**Due to Camping Association Standards, the successful candidate must be 18 years of age or older at the start of their contract for both Camp Riveredge and Camp Chief Hector positions, and 16 years of age or older at the start of their contract for Summer Daycamp Counsellor positions.**
What is your hiring process / How can one apply?
If selected for the interview, candidates will be contacted. The interview will be conducted and three professional references contacted. If chosen as the successful candidate for the position, a police information check and vulnerable sector search must be completed and clear before moving forward in the hiring process.
Please send a resume and cover letter quoting posting code (which can be found on the specific job posting) by the date requested in the job posting to:
YMCA Calgary Association Services
101 3 St. S.W.
Calgary, AB T2P 4G6
Fax: (403) 269-4661
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. Potential candidates will only be contacted if selected for an interview.
What do you look for in employees?
Our staff model, and are committed to, the following competencies:
- Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
- Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
- Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
- Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
- Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
- Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
- Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Qualifications vary, depending on the position. Some require little to no experience, others require some experience, others require education, or education and experience. The job postings will state what the job qualification requirements are. Many of the positions require Standard First Aid and CPR C/AED.
How old does someone have to be to work for your company?
YMCA Calgary adheres to Alberta's Employment Standards Code in this regard.
How much will employees get paid?
Wage varies, depending on the position. All job postings will provide the salary on the posting. Some jobs are paid per hour, some paid per day, some paid weekly and others as a yearly salary.
How would someone find out about opportunities at your company?
Visit our website at http://www.ymcacalgary.org/careers-volunteers/.
Please list any diversity initiatives that your organization is currently involved in.
YMCA Achievement Program (YMAP), YMCA Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC), YMCA Calgary Aboriginal Programs and Services, and various diversity and multicultural events throughout the year!